Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Public Priorities

Before I begin let me point out that I have spent the overwhelming majority of the past six year in the 757 area I dropped a friend off the other day over in northeast Washington, DC before riding past the old Hechinger mall on Benning Road. I had not seen this area in years and I was pleased to see the growth and development and then shocked to notice rail tracks in the far left lane. I thought to myself what is this for? Further investigation revealed a city plan to add a Rail car system to the city for the price tag of $200 Million Dollars and an addition $50 Million dollars for the design contract.

Stop, are you thinking what I am thinking? Doesn't the city already have one of the finest public transportation systems in the world? Well maybe buses don't run this route... oh wait buses cover the majority of this route? Hmm, I don't know about you but with a very successful METRO system having to raise prices to cover rising costs and so many needs flanking the city  from crumbling schools to terrible roads I find it hard to believe that such an excessive project was approved. Now I support the revitalization of many areas and I may be late ass this was approved in 2009 but this is none the less outrageous. The same purpose could have been served by expanded bus coverage for over a hundred million less. Laying the extra infrastructure along with the fact that expansion is necessary to complete and justify the project costing even more money is reprehensible given the glaring needs of the city else where.

This reeks of a statement project whose sole purpose is to be a high profile object to remember a politician by. I will admit step by step the entire city is slowly being revitalized. Some people did not support spending for the Nationals Stadium but it helped get desolate areas of the city improved. I am for improvement but not for the gentrification that is occuring in the city. I may touch on this in a later article.

Councilman Marion Barry has tried to halt the project for the reasons outlined above. Despite Marion Barry's troubled past he is known and supported for doing all he can to help the city's poorest and worse off. He was quoted as saying "I need five recreation centers in Ward 8" which is a valid point, yet here we are with a shiny new street car service, I hope its worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment